A first-timer's guide to the Munich Oktoberfest. Come join the party!
Cheeky: Two guys peck a girl in a Dirndl at festival. Looking forward to the Munich Oktoberfest 2018. Pic: © DPA* source
Festive atmosphere: A group of good-looking ladies in traditional Oktoberfest dresses share a few drinks at the festival. Pic: © Reuters * source
Woof: No-one’s excluded from the festivities – even some dogs dress up for the
Pic: © DPA
Oktoberfest 2018 will run from Saturday, September 22 to Sunday, October 7.
There’s often a mad rush to find a seat before the beer starts flowing at 10am (9am on weekends).
There’s a costume parade and a gay party on the first Sunday. Weekdays are much quieter than weekends, especially around lunchtime. Which tent to pick Most of the drinking is done in the 14 big beer "tents" - actually big wooden halls. You can reserve tables through www.oktoberfest.de but most sell out months in advance.
The festivities officially start in the Schottenhamel tent and often reach their rowdiest in the Hacker (Heaven of Bavaria).
The Marstall tent took the place of the bright red Hippodrom tent in 2014.The Hofbräu tent is famed for pulling far more tourists than locals, the Augustiner might be the best for Bavarian authenticity and the Löwenbräu becomes a good option when everywhere else is full.
Four of these five girls are wearing "Dirndl" themed T-shirts. Perhaps not the genuine article but still quite nice! Pic: uLe @ Dortmund
Practically anything goes, but for an extra layer of fun consider kitting out like a local. For guys, a pair of Lederhosen leather shorts start from €120. For gals, a traditional Dirndl dress cost upwards of about €100. Tip: When worn correctly Dirndls also reveal the wearers’ availability. Look just above the apron: If there’s a bow on the right she’s taken.
A bow on the left means she’s still to be had, and a bow bang on the front marks a virgin.
Spirits up: A group of friends in Bavarian costume at the famous German beerfest. Pic:
• May I sit here? - Darf ich mich zu dir setzen? (Darf ik mik zoo dear set-zen?)
• One beer, please! - Eine Maß, bitte! (Eyne mass, bit-tey!) • Cheers! - Prost! (Prawst!)
• Your eyes are as pretty as a meadow full of tulips. - Deine Augen sind so schön wie eine Tulpenwiese . (Dine-ny ow-gen sind so schern vee eyne tul-pen-vee-say) • Let’s go back to my tent for a coffee! - Gehen wir mal zu meinem Zelt für einen Kaffee! (Gay-en veer mal zoo mine-em zelt fair eyn-en kaf-ey!) • I need to chuck up. - Ich muss kotzen. (Ik moose kot-zen) • I have a killer hangover. - Ich habe so einen Katter. (Ik hab-ey so eyn-en kat-er)
Looking good: Cute Oktoberfest girls in Dirndls pose for the camera at the Munich festival. Pic: © AFP
Note: This is an index of all the Munich Oktoberfest stories on the site, for an overview of the fest, scroll to the top of this page or click here.
▪ The Oktoberfest tents are ready and they look glorious
Preview Page 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Oktoberfest pictures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
▪ Oktoberfest beds - Find your bed before they're all sold out - again!
▪ The Old Oktoberfest (Oide Wiesn) - This is a special area at the southern end of the Oktoberfest grounds.
▪ Oktoberfest deals and tours - Book a tour of the Oktoberfest and a table in one of the tents. But be quick! These deals always sells out!
▪ Oktoberfest mistakes - Don't do these eight things!
▪ Oktoberfest tent guide - Destination Munich's two-page guide to Oktoberfest beer tents in 2018.
You'll also find out how to reserve a table at the world's biggest party.See the first page here or go to Oktoberfest tent guide page 2.
▪ German Dirndl - All about that most wonderful traditional dress, the Dirndl.
(extra photo page at Oktoberfest Dirndl photos).
▪ Munich Oktoberfest A - Z - A tip for every letter of the alphabet.
▪ Your Oktoberfest stories - Got a story about a visit to the Munich Oktoberfest? Or have you been to a similar festival elsewhere in the world? Tell us about it!Go here to contribute and check out other readers' tipsy tales.
▪ Oktoberfest history - Get the backstory on the world's biggest bash.
▪ Oktoberfest barometer - When's it gonna be busy at the Munich Oktoberfest in 2018? Find out here and you'll inmprove your chances of getting a table in the beer tents.
▪ Oktoberfest 2018 dates - A temporal guide to the 2018 Oktoberfest with info about special events and what's going on when at the fest.
▪ Oktoberfest songs - My new site focussing on the music of Oktoberfest! With videos, background info, lyrics in German and English translations. There's also an extensive collection of Oktoberfest songs in English.
▪ Oktoberfest Map - Don't get lost! - A map of the Munich grounds for you to download as a PDF.
▪ Oktoberfest numbers - Who ya gonna call? Important numbers for the Oktoberfest.
▪ Oktoberfest recipes - Recreate the taste of Oktoberfest food with these great recipes.
▪ Oktoberfest parties around the world - It's not just in Munich, ya'know! A guide to Oktoberfest celebrations around the world. Included so far are: Oktoberfest Kitchener - Waterloo, Tempe Oktoberfest, Minster Oktoberfest, Big Bear Oktoberfest, Hickory Oktoberfest.
▪ Horse on the menu at the Munich Oktoberfest
▪ Smoking at Oktoberfest
▪ Swine flu at Oktoberfest
▪ Oktoberfest archives Where the older stories are shelved.
• Return to the Munich Festivals main page • Jump from Oktoberfest Munich back to Destination Munich Home
What to do in Munich - multi-day itineraries
Find your perfect Bavarian tour
Munich Oktoberfest 2017 photo preview
Copyright © 2008 - 2012 www.destination-munich.com. All rights reserved. Stealing isn't sexy!