What comes to mind when you think of
Munich and Bavaria?
Munich is the jewel of Germany - a viabrant, fun and fascinating city.
So what's new in Munich?
The sun is out and summer is upon is - 2018 has turned into another fantasic year in the Bavarian capital. Coming up is the Kaltenberg Knights Festival which takes place on a farm not too far from Munich. It's Europe's biggest Middle Agest fest and well worth a visit.
To introduce this beautiful part of the world let’s join a "tour" of the city centre…
BMWs and fine brews, lederhosen and Dirndl
dresses, what comes to mind when you think
of Munich? Pic: Traveller_40
"First time in
Munich? Then welcome, and as we say here, servus! Let's start the tour,
We’re standing in Marienplatz,
the beating heart of the city.
Directly front of you is the Neues Rathaus. That’s our neo-gothic City
Hall. Impressive, don’t you think? In its centre is the famous Glockenspiel. It jumps into
action three times a day.
"And over there to your right is the Fish Fountain. It’s the city’s favourite meeting spot so if anyone gets lost on the
tour just head back here and we’ll find you.
But don’t let anyone throw you in like they used to do to the butchers.
"Now look up there to your left. See the two towers with the onion
domes? That’s the Frauenkirche, our cathedral. We’ll go inside later
and see the Devil’s footprint.
"I think you'll like the story behind that. One of the towers is a
little bit higher than the other, can you tell which?"Have a look
around here but please don’t take too long. There’s heaps to see in
this city and we’re just getting started. So come along now, the Hofbräuhaus is right around the corner…
There's a lot more to Munich than the best beer
in the world. It can, however, be a good place to
start. That's me on the right in my lederhosen,
can't wait for the Munich Oktoberfest 2017.
Maybe you aren't in Munich yet, but the fact you’ve found this
guide tells me you’re at least thinking about visiting the southern German capital.
Destination Munich isn't just the Web’s grooviest travel guide
to the world’s greatest city. It's also the most fun, informative and entertaining "helping
hand" for planning your visit and finding things to do in
Here are 10 things Destination Munich can do to help you plan your visit:
1. HELP YOU SAVE $$$: Let’s face it, travelling isn’t easy on the wallet. Destination Munich contains heaps of ideas for how to help you keep costs down.
For details on great value tours and activities see: Tours in Munich
2. SHOW YOU WHAT TO DO IN MUNICH: This website includes over 60 reviews of Munich monuments and attractions. There are also dozens of stories with tips on what to do and see in the city on our Munich Attractions page. And if it's retail therapy you need, check out our guide to Shopping in Munich Germany
3. GET READY FOR THE OKTOBERFEST: The world’s biggest folk festival draws millions of visitors who have the best time of their lives. Be one of them! Oktoberfest Munich
4. CHECK OUT SOME OTHER FESTIVALS: There are tons of other great festivals and events in Munich aside from the big mamma mentioned above. Check out a few of them here: Munich Festivals
5. SLEEP EASY: Find the right place to stay for your budget and tastes, be it a five-star luxury hotel, a budget family guesthouse, a student-friendly hostel or even a campsite! Accommodation Munich
6. GET AROUND: Train, tram, subway and bus, the site has a complete guide on getting around Munich and how to buy public transport tickets: Getting Around Munich
7. GET OUT OF THE CITY: Age old towns, mad kings and castles, mountains and romantic roads - Bavaria is the stuff of dreams. Here are some ideas to help you explore it: Day Trips from Munich
8. STOP YOU FROM GETTING LOST: Destination Munich includes dozens of inlaid maps of attractions, festivals, transport networks, etc. There are also links to where you can download free PDF Munich maps.
Each review page also includes directions you’ll know the quickest way to get to where you’re going: Munich and Bavaria Maps
9. GIVE YOU THE BACK STORY: Bavaria’s culture is unique in the world and its history is turbulent and fascinating. Here’s where we scratch past the surface and find out what makes it so unique: Munich Backstory
10. SELL YOU A TAKE-WITH GUIDE: Years in the making, the PDF eBook Destination Munich and Bavaria can now be yours to own. It’s 285 pages of maps, photos and info. Print it out or use it on your tablet or smartphone as you travel: Destination Munich eBook
So, that's about all from me for now.
Please enjoy reading
about, and hopefully coming to, the city they call Europe’s biggest
Hi, I'm Stu, journalist and lover of all things Munich and Bavaria. My website is 100 per cent independent, up-to-date and designed to help you with your visit to this beautiful corner of Germany.Don't forget to have your say and add your comments at the bottom of each page. Here's what our latest readers said...
What to do in Munich - multi-day itineraries
Find your perfect Bavarian tour
Munich Oktoberfest 2018 photo preview