Event organisers have put together a series of tips to limit the risk of Swine Flu at Oktoberfest.
1. Only drink out of your own Maß glass and don’t let anyone else drink out of it.
2. Don’t go kissing random strangers - This not only reduces the risk of infection but saves stress with your significant other.
3. Wash your hands regularly.
4. If you have to sneeze, do it onto your sleeve rather than into your palm and don’t go shaking hands with anyone straight afterwards.
It is, of course, up to each individual to decide to follow these suggestions or not.
I personally bet they’re going to be just as ignored as alcohol-free beer – at least the tip about not kissing random strangers.
After all, there’s an English expression that the Germans love saying over here: No risk, no fun.
Every once in a while a book comes along that changes your life.
Until it does, please consider buying Destination Munich and Bavaria, the grooviest, most informative guide on the market :-)
It'll give you full-colour maps, practical info and hundreds of tips on how to get the most out of your visit.
It's 227 pages of up-to-the-minute travel intelligence and it can be yours as an eBook for less than the price of an Oktoberfest beer. (read on)
• Go to the main Oktoberfest Munich page.
• Jump from Swine Flu at Oktoberfest back to the Oktoberfest archive.