The award-winning Munich Zoo (Tierpark Hellabrunn) is among Germany's very best - see gallery below
A baby polar bear with mum at Munich Zoo. Pic: Joerg Koch/ Tierpark Hellabrunn
King penguins with a fledgling at Munich Zoo. Pic: Marc Mueller/ Tierpark Hellabrunn
▪ The Touch Paddock and Kinderzoo – An area where kids can get up close and personal with goats, sheep and ponies.
The animals can be stroked and fed with low-calorie fibre bought from vending machines and kids can watch chicks hatch from their eggs.
▪ The "Villa Dracula" – a large walk-through hall where bats and birds flap about unhindered.
▪ Polarium – Crowds flock to see the Antarctic penguins and sea lions but the star attraction of this section is the new polar bear enclosure.
▪ Elephant House – The century old Byzantine Elephant House was one of the first freestanding concrete domes in the world and has become the zoo’s most-recognisable symbol.
See below the photos for visiting details.
A Silvery gibbon at the zoo. Pic: D Hierl/Tierpark Hellabrunn
The zoo's famous elephant house. Pic: Marc Mueller/ Tierpark Hellabrunn
A baby panda at the zoo. Pic: Michael Thomas/ Tierpark Hellabrunn
The zoo's brown bear looking nonchalant. Pic: Marc Mueller/ Tierpark Hellabrunn
Visitors explore the zoo. Pic: Marc Mueller/ Tierpark Hellabrunn
A baby orangutan with mum at Munich Zoo. Pic: Marc Mueller/ Tierpark Hellabrunn
The zoo's aquarium has all sorts of interesting inhabitants. Pic: Marc Mueller/ Tierpark Hellabrunn
A rare Siberian tiger at the zoo. Pic: Marisa Segadelli/ Tierpark Hellabrunn
A silvery gibbon hangs about at teh zoo. Pic: D Hierl/ Tierpark Hellabrunn
Baby orangutans take shelter with their mum at the zoo. Pic: Marc Mueller/ Tierpark Hellabrunn
The zoo's elephant house. Pic: Tierpark Hellabrunn
A view across to the zoo's cafe. Pic: Marc Mueller/ Tierpark Hellabrunn
Location Tierpark Strasse 30, Munich
Phone 089 62 5080
Open 9am to 6pm April to September, till 5pm October to March
Cost €15, children 4 to 14 €6 (children under 4 go free). Family tickets are also available, check the website for details.
Directions Take the U-Bahn line 3 to the station Thalkirchen (Tierpark). From there it’s a 3min walk, just follow the signs.
Every once in a while a book comes along that changes your life.
Until it does, please consider buying Destination Munich and Bavaria, the grooviest, most informative guide on the market :-)
It'll give you full-colour maps, practical info and hundreds of tips on how to get the most out of your visit.
It's 227 pages of up-to-the-minute travel intelligence and it can be yours as an eBook for less than the price of an Oktoberfest beer. (read on)
• Learn about many, many more fascinating Munich Attractions here.
• Jump from Munich Zoo back to Destination Munich Home.
What to do in Munich - multi-day itineraries
Find your perfect Bavarian tour
Munich Oktoberfest photo preview