Event organisers have put together a series of tips to limit the risk of Swine Flu at Oktoberfest.
1. Only drink out of your own Maß glass and don’t let anyone else drink out of it.
2. Don’t go kissing random strangers - This not only reduces the risk of infection but saves stress with your significant other.
3. Wash your hands regularly.
4. If you have to sneeze, do it onto your sleeve rather than into your palm and don’t go shaking hands with anyone straight afterwards.
It is, of course, up to each individual to decide to follow these suggestions or not.
I personally bet they’re going to be just as ignored as alcohol-free beer – at least the tip about not kissing random strangers.
After all, there’s an English expression that the Germans love saying over here: No risk, no fun.
• Go to the main Oktoberfest Munich page.
• Jump from Swine Flu at Oktoberfest back to the Oktoberfest archive.