By Steve Rout
POPULAR SKI RESORTS NEAR MUNICH: The long lines of cars heading south on the motorway and the crowded carriages on the trains in the “short platform” section of Munich’s main railway station are testament to the popularity of the nearby mountain ranges.
On a clear day, as the tourist office frequently maintains, you can see the snow-covered peaks from the city. On a clear winter weekend, many of Munich’s inhabitants will be up at various heights on those peaks – skiing, ski touring, snowshoeing or walking.
SUBLIME SLOPES: There are some great places to ski in Bavaria
Plenty head into Austria for the generally higher skiing, but there are enough resorts closer at hand in the Bavarian Alps:
HIGH UP: A mountaintop view near Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
• Seven day, six night vacation package with four star accommodation in Garmisch-Partenkirchen,Germany
• Daily breakfast included
• Airport shuttle to and from the Munich Airport to your hotel in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
• Welcome dinner, tour, and seminar on the art of beer hosted by the Griesbrau Brewery included
• Ski lift tickets for four days included
• Reserved seating at Nockherberg Starkbier Festival and the Löwenbräukeller Festival included
• Day tour of Neuschwanstein castle, Oberammergau village, and the Ettal Monastery included
• Transportation to and from all events and a private tour guide included
• Find out about other great day-trips from Munich.
• Jump from Ski Resorts near Munich back to Destination Munich Home
See more photos of Linderhof
The world's most famous castle? Discover Neuschwanstein
Neuschwanstein Castle pictures - a 3-page gallery
Konigshaus am Schachen - Ludwig's getaway
What to do in Munich - multi-day itineraries
Find your perfect Bavarian tour
Munich Oktoberfest 2017 photo preview